Many philosophers argue that one of the main properties of the human mind is the process of understanding the essays online similarities and differences between objects and phenomena. However, the philosophical aspect of the problem is not the goal of this article. Nevertheless, the need to make a choice entails the need to compare the options, makes it necessary to consider in detail possible differences, or vice versa, the similarity of one phenomenon or object to another. When a prospective student makes a choice between two colleges, when a person chooses a car or clothes, when they have to make any choice, there is a need for comparison.
We distinguish five practical situations when it appears necessary to write a comparative opposition essay. In other words, such an essay can be directed to the implementation of five practical tasks.
- The author may strive to show which of the two (or more) compared objects is better in one respect or another. The purpose of this essay is to convince the reader that object A should prefer object B.
- The author may strive to show that two objects that appear to be different are the same thing. The purpose of this essay is to convince the reader that there are no significant differences between the objects A and B.
- The author may strive to show that two objects that appear to be the same are seriously different from each other. The purpose of such an essay is to convince the reader to differentiate the objects being described.
- The author may seek to find out the true nature of the object, comparing it and contrasting it with other objects. This essay has a clear analytical focus.
- The author may seek to clarify the meaning of an unknown object or phenomenon, comparing it with an object or phenomenon known to the reader. Such a task often confronts a teacher who wants to explain a new term, concept, etc. through comparison with the already studied terms, concepts, etc. This is the sphere of the practical application of the essay of the structure we are discussing.